Most houses in the UK live in an area that has hard water. However, not everyone knows that they are using hard water or how it even affects them and their house. In fact, in a study, one-fifth of 2000 adults who took part didn’t know if they lived in a hard water area. Many people suffer from its effects daily, but knowing how it can affect you means you can prevent it.
What is hard water?
When water trickles down from mountains and through the ground, it can pick up mineral deposits along the way before it is treated for safe use. These minerals consist of calcium, magnesium carbonates, bicarbonates and sulfates. When these minerals transfer from limestone or chalk, it becomes known as ‘hard water’.
Calcium and magnesium are the culprits for causing limescale on your appliances.
How it affects people in the UK
One-third of Brits have admitted to experiencing limescale damage to their home. This includes their showers, washing machines, taps and pipes. The worst victim seems to be their kettles, with 80% of people noticing an effect on the appliance. If you have ever noticed something floating on the surface of your cup of tea, then your kettle is being plagued by limescale as well.
A quarter of people believe that any skin problems they experience are from using hard water when washing their faces and showering. 28% think it affects their hair and 14% think that it affects their skin, making them look older than they are. This causes a fifth of people to buy creams and lotions to help counteract the effects. Over time, this can be quite expensive and on average people will spend over £200 per year buying skincare products.
In the lifetime of the average UK adult, they will:
- Boil the kettle over 82,000 times
- Use the washing machine over 5,000 times
- Have 15,000 showers
- Take 3,500 baths
All of this takes a toll. Damages on appliances can cost over £300 in the last 5 years on average for repairing the problems.
Here are some facts about hard water
- You will need more detergent to make your clothes clean and soft.
- Hard water can damage hair colour and cause hair that is dyed to fade faster.
- Soap scum can block your pores and make moisturiser less effective.
- Your skin can age faster and make you look older.
- The minerals strip moisture from your skin and prevent natural oils from working properly.
- The iron and calcium in water can form free radicals. These damage healthy skin cells and can breakdown collagen, which causes wrinkles.
- Your heating system can be made 12% less effective with just a 1.6mm coating of limescale on a heating element.
- If you want to remove scale and stains left behind by hard water, you will need to use an acid-based cleaner. However, these chemicals can damage glass and chrome over time.
- The shower will be less powerful as limescale clogs up the showerhead.
Stopping hard water in its tracks
If you are worried about the hard water in your home, you will be happy to know that there is a solution. Here at Greens, we sell water softeners to suit every home and budget. Whether you have one bathroom or three, you will find a softener that is perfect for you and your home.
If you would like to find out more, click here to read about water softeners or give our customer service team a call today on 01522 509383.
Facts from Best Water Technology